2/1/09

Arroz con Camarones


For those of you who love Cafe Sabor in Logan, here's an exact replica of their Camarones Mexicanos - prawns sauted in a zesty red sauce with mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. Served over rice with melted asadero cheese. I love this dish and eat it at every Mexican restuarant at which it can be found. I crave it. I finally decided to try making it on my own and was shocked that it tasted exactly the same as Cafe Sabor's while I just guessed at the recipe. So here it is:

Arroz con Camarones (serves 4-6)

1 lb. shrimp (I used 51-60 ct. frozen, peeled & deveined)
2 T. butter
3 T. garlic, chopped (this is important)
1 large onion, large diced
1 green pepper, large diced
1 pkg. mushrooms, thick sliced
1 avocado, large diced
1 tomato, large diced
1 small can tomato sauce
8 oz. fiesta or mexican blend grated cheese
Spanish Rice

Prepare everything in advance, so you can throw it all in at the right time to avoid over cooking. Saute butter and garlic, add the shrimp. Saute until heated through, or until pink if using fresh. (I used quite a bit of fresh ground sea salt on the shrimp as well.) Remove shrimp from the pan (but make sure to keep your garlic/butter mixture in the pan - don't dump it). Add the onion, peppers and mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes until barely tender. Add the tomato sauce and put the shrimp back in the pan. Cook for 1-2 more minutes. At this point you can stir in the tomatoes & avocadoes, or serve them on the side. Sprinkle cheese over top of the skillet and cover with a lid to melt. Serve immediately over rice.

For the rice, I just used Rice-a-Roni's new whole grain blends...Spanish Rice. It was tasty, and I got it on sale.

2 comments:

  1. Did your hubby eat it too? I bet Aaron would love it, but Dusty and I could order pzza, jk. Love the dance party footage. Being big nerds is fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dusty actually loved it! He just picked out the mushrooms & onions. He even asked me to make it again tonight!

    ReplyDelete