I don't know why I'm obsessed with spending so much time on my kids' birthday cakes. They give me anxiety for DAYS even before I start making one. I just worry about them being perfect, but not taking up my whole day. I suppose it's because my Mom always made us extra special birthday cakes.
So this morning I baked a Dora cake for Halle and thought I'd be safe to go get dressed while it cooled. Jack asked if he could have a bite and I told him no and that he could have one of the cupcakes when we baked those. Not ten minutes later, he came back to the bathroom to tell me he'd sampled Hal's cake and how delicious it was. I FREAKED because I did not have time today to be baking two cakes. (We're right in the middle of moving this week.) I surveyed the damage and noticed he'd only taken one bight, a big one, but still just one so I hoped it might be salvageable. I set it aside, turned on a show for the kids, and went back to getting ready. Five minutes later I walked out to the kitchen and came upon this scene:
So this morning I baked a Dora cake for Halle and thought I'd be safe to go get dressed while it cooled. Jack asked if he could have a bite and I told him no and that he could have one of the cupcakes when we baked those. Not ten minutes later, he came back to the bathroom to tell me he'd sampled Hal's cake and how delicious it was. I FREAKED because I did not have time today to be baking two cakes. (We're right in the middle of moving this week.) I surveyed the damage and noticed he'd only taken one bight, a big one, but still just one so I hoped it might be salvageable. I set it aside, turned on a show for the kids, and went back to getting ready. Five minutes later I walked out to the kitchen and came upon this scene:
Caught in the act
Enjoying the spoils
What the hay, go to town
The apology
Yay, Dora cake!
The finished product
Fun Fun. Anyhow, after today I really don't know if I want to continue this birthday cake tradition of madness. Knowing me I probably will. I do delight in the finished product, but my back is seriously killing me after stooping down to decorate that darn thing for over five hours! Not to mention the added bonus of baking not one, but two cakes. Happy Birthday, Halpal.

Happy Birthday Halle!
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend the top of the fridge! The finished product looks great!
ReplyDeleteMonika...You Are OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think you do great! Remember....memories. I cannot do it so Kudos to you!!
ReplyDelete