So, I have a story for you. When I was in first grade, my friend (Arista Hageman) was wearing a purple sweat suit that said "NIKE" on the leg. I was insistent that the word was prounounced NIKE with a silent E, as that was the English rule I knew to be correct. She was equally insistent that the word was prounounced NIKEE, as of course, we all know it is. So, I rememeber our teacher, Mrs. Boxleitner, correcting me after our few minutes of arguing and saying, "No Monika, it's actually said NIKEE. Normally you'd be right, but this is a brand name, a proper noun that is said NIKEE." This was the first time in my life I remember feeling stupid, hot, red faced, and stunned that I was wrong. I have since felt that feeling many times, and I feel for little Jackie as his know-it-all personality that comes from ME will probably snag him many a time in this life.
Oh, another funny. Let's talk about McDonald's. Jack noticed that there was no 'A' in between the M and the C on the sign and he said, "That just doesn't make any sense." I told him about my maiden name being McLeod and how when an M and a C are together it makes the sound MICK. He just laughed at me like I had no idea what I was talking about. Again, I just smiled. So THIS is how parents feel when their kids think they know it all! You just sit back and smile. I remember my Dad doing that to me a lot.
So anyway, back to Kindergarten...we went and got Jack's medical check-up a week or two ago and he was so cute. He's never had an eye exam before and it was hilarious to hear what he'd say and how he was learning what to do for the first time. He rattled off all the shapes when he was asked to and then bent over to squint down at the bottom row, not wanting to disappoint the nurse.
He was all fun & games until the nurses surprised him with two shots in each leg at the end. He told me as we were walking out that they were MEAN ladies.
With his medical exam in hand, and about five other documents, we took him to kindergarten round up last week. He met some neighborhood friends that will be in his class (Luke & Kyah) and had a grand ol' time while the parents were being 'broken-in'. Anyway, he's all set and super excited to start kindergarten in August! Oh, and Halle asked me as we were walking out to the car, "Mommy, can I go to kindergarten, and get rounded up?"

No comments:
Post a Comment