6/20/10

An Ode to My Dad

I wrote my Dad a poem this year for Father's Day...thought I'd better include it in my journal.  It brought a tear to both his and my eye recalling all of our fond memories of the past.  I love you, Dad!


Happy Father’s Day, Dad!
You’re such an amazing Dad.
For getting you,
I am so glad!

A twist of fate,
A lucky star,
My life is better with YOU,
by far.

So many memories
of you I love,
You were sent to me,
by someone up above.


I loved our drives up dirt roads
and shoveling snow,
Cutting a tree,
frost bitten toes.

Cleaning up messes,
before you could see,
Games in the car,
especially spelling bee.


Harvesting the garden
and picking berries,
You frying zucchini,
and making chili.


Making you a sandwich
for an afternoon snack,
Watching you change the sprinklers,
in front & back.


I loved those hot summer days,
when we’d all shell the peas.
Scrape the deck or fence,
Or sit in the shade snapping beans.


Your old, blue robe,
Your mint green suit,
You shucking the corn,
or picking fruit.

Your manly skills,
of trapping a mouse,
and dangling it in my face,
I woke up the whole house.

Playing Lords of Conquest,
Galaxy & Mule,
Getting a speech,
when I broke a rule.


Cleaning your bathroom,
making you smile.
Jokes at school,
which sometimes took awhile.


Family home evenings
that didn’t end quite right,
Loving you for trying,
with all your might!


Stories at bedtime…
The Giant Jam Sandwich,
The Five Little Peppers,
You were giving us an advantage.


You read us Richard Scary
and something about an elephant and a sneeze,
You loved Sir Toby Jingles,
You'd beg us, please? please? to read.

Stocking the soda machines
at school,
while whistling a tune…
You were so cool.


Counting the money
with you after games,
Hearing you always
mix up our names.

Trips to Costco
and to buy me new shoes,
Grandma’s funeral
and KFC with just you.

Your record collection,
recording our voices,
You always helping me,
make the right choices.


The night we got “lost”
up in Rose Valley,
Trips to see you,
in southern Cali.


The night you kicked me
and Nat out of the car
For laughing and giggling
a bit too hard.


Looking for a monkey wrench,
and failing three times.
If you would’ve asked a boy,
you’d have had it on time.

The day I kicked in the shed,
and you didn’t get mad,
I knew you had grown,
and I was so glad.


You paying bills,
and playing business cards,
Hearing you whistle,
while you worked in the yard.


Star Trek on Saturdays,
and Seahawk Sundays,
Long hours at church,
I’m sure those weren’t fun days.


Oatmeal for breakfast,
stretches each morning,
Waking us up,
when we couldn’t stop snoring.


Burning the garbage
in our wood stove,
Telling us stories
while you drove.


Trips to Seattle,
BC, and Swan Lake,
So many fun memories
with you I did make.


I love you so much, Dad,
and I hope that you know,
How dear to me you are,
and how much you’ve helped me grow.


You’ve taught me to work,
to forgive, to never quit,
You’ve taught me about loyalty,
and how to joke a bit.

You’ve taught me to achieve,
and to stick to your game,
You’ve been there for me always,
and I hope to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment