2/3/10

A Moment of Reverence

Every night after dinner I brave the tired & cranky, sometimes mouthy, sometimes starving because they didn't eat their dinner, splashing, love to make a mess children in the bathtub.  After this fun activity is over (which sometimes involves me spoon feeding them to fill their empty stomachs - you  know, because they're "focused" while in the bath - don't judge), I dry them off and march them to the bedroom where they get their jammies on.  We fight over combing Halle's hair and I distract her to get her diaper on. Then we wrestle over brushing their teeth and FINALLY, if it's a good night, we can get in a story or two before I lose it. I mean, before bedtime.

My Dad always read stories to us kids when we were little, and those evenings and stories are some of my fondest memories with him.  I love reading to my kids, but don't always feel "in the mood" if you know what I mean.  So I love the nights when we read.  Anyway, after our bedtime routine, or at the end of the stories, I always say, "Okay, let's have a race to see who can go get Daddy for prayers first!"  Two little munchkins run off to find Daddy.  They race back to their bedroom as quick as can be to impress Daddy with their waiting "reverence" for the family prayer.  Daddy doesn't disappoint and always comes quickly to see this...

A Moment of Reverence

This moment is the most precious of the day - and it took a lot of work and example to get this to happen.  Don't they look sweet?  It really does only last a moment as they sometimes fight over who gets to say the prayer, who they're going to sit by during the prayer, and/or belt out an occasional giggle or give a punch to the neighboring kneeler.

We started having family prayers at night when Jack was about 16 months old (3 years ago this January).  And I'm happy to say we've only missed a handful of nights with this ongoing tradition.  Their little prayers are so sweet and full of faith.  We LOVE to hear them each night.


And then, after prayers, Daddy gets them all riled up...


And then we end the night like this...
You know, or sometimes crying, begging for drinks and a piece of bread, or asking for one more hug, or a song, or a snuggle, or for Mommy to come sleep with them for 15 hours, or 100 hours, or until morning (which Mommy sometimes does, hence the continued begging - sometimes Daddy even gets suckered into this).

Being a parent is hard, but truly rewarding.  We love our cute little kiddos!

3 comments:

  1. I love those precious little ones. I'm so grateful to be a part of your lives and get to see them and experience these things with them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow...how did you get them to actually sit still and behave, even if only for a few seconds?!??!?!?? We too say family prayers (although we have not been doing them as long as you guys), and every night, we have to make threats and it seems to totally not be spiritual, but yet, we still go through with it and hope that we can be a good example for them and get them to continue to always say their prayers too!! What good parents and I LOVE your fun inserts throughout the post (totally TRUE, I know!!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a lot like my kids at night.
    Your house is really comin' along! I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete